“I think it’s time to be happy again.”
Do you have a vision of your ideal life?
Are you living it?
Life challenges all of us. We go through times when we know something is wrong, things aren’t working. Something needs to be addressed. But what?
Perhaps your life looks great from the birds’ eye view with a good job and a family, maybe even some money in the bank.
Yet, up close, day to day, you may feel overwhelmed, unfocused and unfulfilled. You may be struggling in your relationships.
Has a loved one has told you that you have a problem but you aren’t sure you agree? I understand that confusion.
As a licensed psychotherapist, it is my purpose to help you
- Recognize the issues that are holding you back or creating imbalance.
- Remove the roadblocks that stand in the way of your happiness.
- Refocus towards the path that you want to take to move forward.
The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone. Working together we will identify what is out of balance and return to life you envision.
Please contact me:
Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves
Dr. Gerald Opthof
Dr. Opthof has been counseling individuals, couples and families for over 20 years. His practice is built on connection, relating to his clients as whole people and not just the problems they are facing. He offers strategies built on his professional knowledge, experience, and the perspective that he has gained from his own life challenges.
Dr. Opthof specializes in individual and marital counseling, sexual, relationship and family issues, addiction and recovery issues and grief, depression, and anxiety. He also provides professional evaluations including forensic, mental health, and court-ordered substance abuse evaluations as well as drug and alcohol testing.
Please contact me:
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
- Individual, Marital and Couples Counseling
- Sexual, Relationship & Family Issues
- Addictions & Recovery Issues: Anger Alcohol, Drug, Sex, Gambling,
- Grief, Depression & Anxiety
We are available Monday through Saturday providing individual, couples, group and family counseling to those living in Bergen, Morris, & Sussex counties.
As an alternative to traditional 12-Step Recovery Programs we also offer Smart Recovery and Moderation Management techniques to guide you through a recovery process.
At the Opthof Center, we are a State of New Jersey Approved Provider for the Intoxicated Driver Resource Centers. We provide assessments, individual and group counseling for those convicted of DWI offences. Support groups are available for men and women in the early stages of recovery.
Betrayed Women’s Support Group
Trust can allow people to bungee jump of a bridge, to fly hundreds of miles per hour in the air across rocky mountains and open waters, or even to make a lifelong commitment to one person. However, once broken, trust can destroy a person’s ability to form new friendships, lasting relationships, and can even affect a person’s self-esteem. When trust is broken, a sense of betrayal is bred. Coping with betrayal can be just as difficult as restoring trust, but not when you have help.
Opthof Center for Psychotherapy will soon be starting an eight week group for women who have been betrayed. In a safe, confidential group consisting entirely of women, we will begin the healing process, and restore a sense of trust amongst ourselves to overcome the betrayal we have endured. The focus will be on social support, education, and shame reduction. For more information about the group please reach out to the Opthof Center for Psychotherapy, LLC at 201 263 0202.
Early Intervention Support Group
EARLY INTERVENTION, for individuals addressing substance misuse problems or mild disorders, and helping to prevent more severe substance use disorders.
Opthof Center for Psychotherapy will soon be starting an eight week group for individuals who have a substance use disorder but who may not be ready to enter treatment.In a safe, confidential group we will begin to help engage individuals in treatment and reduce the risks and harms associated with substance misuse. We will begin to reduce the harms associated with substance misuse, to reduce risk behaviors before they lead to serious consequences, to improve health and social function, and to prevent progression to a disorder.
The focus will be on three key factors providing information about substance use risks, normal or safe levels of use, and strategies to quit or cut down on use and use-related risk behaviors. For more information about the group please reach out to the Opthof Center for Psychotherapy, LLC at 201 263 0202.
Anger Management Support Group
Anger is a powerful emotion. It can destroy lifelong relationships in moments, tear down reputations in few words and actions, and eliminate peace within a person. Addressing your anger can be the steps to healing yourself, managing your anger and channeling it to make positive changes in your life.
While it may seem insurmountable, repurposing your anger and getting your life back can be done with help and support.
Opthof Center for Psychotherapy will soon be starting an eight week group for those who are slaves to their anger. In a safe, confidential group we will begin to work through the underlying issues and establish healthy ways to handle situations as they arise. The focus will be on emotional support, education, and personal development. For more information about the group please reach out to the Opthof Center for Psychotherapy, LLC at 201 263 0202.
PROFESSIONAL CONSULTANCY & EVALUATIONS
- Forensic Evaluation Services
- Comprehensive Mental Health Evaluations
- Comprehensive Court Ordered Substance Abuse Evaluations
- EtG and EtS Alcohol Testing
- Oral and Urinalysis Drug Screen Testing
Credentials & Education
- Licensed Professional Counselor (L.P.C.)
- Licensed Clinical Alcohol & Drug Counselor (L.C.A.D.C.)
- Certified Social Worker (C.S.W.)
- Substance Awareness Coordinator (S.A.C.)
- Master Addiction Counselor (M.A.C.)
- National Certified Counselor (N.C.C.)
- Internationally Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor
- Substance Abuse Professional (S.A.P.)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Level 2, 2004
- Training in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Level 1 by originator Dr. Francine Shapiro, 2004
- Training in Crisis Response by the National Organization of Victim Advocacy (NOVA)
- Training in Family Therapy at the Ackerman Institute in Manhattan
- Training in Trauma and Grief by the Nox Institute
- Eisner Institute for Professional Studies, Psy.D in Forensic Psychology, 2014
- Montclair State University, Masters of Arts in Counseling, Human Development, and Secondary Education – Concentration in
- Substance Abuse and Dependency, 1997
- Montclair State College – Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, 1994
Please contact me:
To Schedule Our First Appointment
Please contact me:
For a variety of reasons, we do not participate as a provider in any health insurance or managed care plan. Limiting the involvement of third party payers allows the psychotherapeutic process to have a greater degree of autonomy and privacy. Additionally, we will keep your credit card on file and automatically accept payment at the end of each session, allowing us to keep the full focus of each session on our work together. Services may be covered by health insurance policies which allow participants to choose out-of-network mental health providers. Please consult with your insurance company to get the proper form and to find out where to submit your claim.
Please fill out the following intake forms and bring them to our first appointment.
Please fill out the intake form prior to our appointment.
Road Recovery Benefit,
Dr Opthof & Actor, Dennis Leary
- Chairperson to the Prevention Sub-Committee of the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (GCADA) (can we get a logo?)
- Appointed to serve a 5-year term as a member of the Governor’s Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse (GCADA)
- Co-founded the Not-For-Profit – National Coalition for the Advancement of Drug-Free Athletics, Inc.
Publications & Appearances
- February 2015 Article on CBT & Addictions
- January 2015 Feature in January Issue of Counseling Today
- November 2014 Interviewed for pilot TV show, NJ Insider.
- September 2005 Guest Speaker on Caucus New Jersey with Steve Adubato, Families in Crisis Series
- February 2004 Bergen County Record Article on Self Mutilation Among Teens